QBC Journal Club Requirements
Biophysics (BP), Chemistry and Chemical Biology (CCB), Bioinformatics (BI) and PSPG, established their own formal journal club for first- and second-year students with the following ground rules:
Two talks per student are required:
- One talk for first-year students
- One talk for second-year students
- There are two faculty coaches per speaker, one of whom is pre-assigned.
- Neither coach may be the second-year student’s principal investigator.
- The principal investigator of the speaker must attend.
- Both coaches are present at the talk and will submit a formal review for the student’s record.
Faculty coach duties
- Approve the student’s choice of paper.
- Provide guidance to the student as requested.
- Rehearse with the student until acceptable performance is achieved.
- Attend the journal club talk and discuss the presentation with the student afterwards.
- Provide a written evaluation to the program administrator for the student’s academic file.
One month before the assigned date, the student:
- Arranges for a second faculty coach.
- Works with his or her coach to select a paper for the talk.
- First-year students: The paper should not be related to the student’s primary or undergraduate research.
- Second-year students: The paper should be from a different field (i.e. Bioinformatics students should do an experimental paper.)
- Submits the paper and justification to the coaches and course instructor Brian Shoichet for approval.
- Paper should be current, scientifically significant, and of broad interest to the four groups.
- The coaches can veto the choice if the above criteria are not demonstrated.
- Submits the presentation title, approved article, and choice of coaches to Nicole Flowers.
- Organizes coaching appointments and practice talks.
- Arranges an alternate date with another speaker and inform the administration if the assigned date conflicts with the student's schedule.
- Invites his or her principal investigator to attend.
Attend weekly and be on time.
Grade based upon:
- Presentation and preparation effort and performance, evaluated by faculty coaches.
- Attendance: Miss more than three in one quarter = No Pass or Incomplete at the discretion of Course Director.
- Tardiness: You must be there at the start time (10:10 am) and will be marked absent if you show up after talks have started.